• Central Library of Kumaun University, Nainital was established in the year 1973.
• Library has very rich collections of Books on Various Branches of Knowledge.
• Serving as the Nerve Centre of the University.
• The library is running under the supervision of Deputy Librarian.
• Automated circulation counter is made available for issue, return and renewal of books.
• The facility of “Open Access system” adopted in the library.
• A well-stocked library is an asset to the University.
VISION OF THE LIBRARY
• To serve as a knowledge hub of the University.
• To inculcate reading habits among the students and teaching community.
• To help rural students to enrich their knowledge to create better world for themselves.
• Central Library is moving from print to electronic medium (i.e. e books & e journals).
• Library is moving towards fully automated. (RFID).
OBJECTIVES OF THE LIBRARY
• Cultivate reading habits among students and teaching community.
• Provide accessibility to information in a well organized and coherent manner.
• Provide facilities and services for teaching community and students to discover needed information and use them according to their needs.
• Develop an efficient and effective library which is adaptable to the changing academic environment.
TOTAL LIBRARY COLLECTION
• Total No. of Books : 70425
• No. of Text Books : 2638
• No. of Reference Books : 67787
• No. of Thesis 5990
• No. of Newspapers : 04 + 01 (Employment News)
• E-Books : 160000 (approx)
• E-Journals : 4500 (approx)
Subscribed to INFLIBNET (Information and Library Network). INFLIBNET is involved in modernizing university libraries in India using the state-of-art technologies for the optimum utilization of information. INFLIBNET is set out to be a major player in promoting scholarly communication among academicians and researchers in India. Campus Faculties & Students can access E-books & E-journals through the following website. http://www.inflibnet.ac.in
1. E-SHODHSINDHU: e-ShodhSindhu is an initiative of Consortium for Higher Education Electronics Resources by Ministry of Education.
2. SHODHSHUDDHI (OURIGINAL): The Govt. of India was to provide Plagiarism Detection Software to all Indian Universities/Institutions including Central Universities, State Universities, Deemed to be Universities, Private Universities, Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs), Institute of National importance (INIs), Inter University Centres of UGC (IUCs). The INFLIBNET Centre is a nodal agency to execute the project/initiative under the aegis of Ministry of Education.
OPEN ACCESS INITIATIVE
1. SHODHGANGA is a digital repository set-up for submission of electronic versions of theses and dissertations by students / research scholars in universities in India and make them available in open access to the world-wide academic community in response to the UGC Notification (Minimum Standards & Procedure for Award of M.Phil. / Ph.D Degree, Regulation, 2009 and amendment made in 2016) where-in the responsibility of maintaining the digital repository of Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs) is assigned to the INFLIBNET Centre.
2. SHODHGANGOTRI: Under this initiative, research scholars/research supervisors in universities could deposit an electronic version of approved synopsis submitted by research scholars to the universities for registering themselves under the PhD programme.
E-CONTENT DEVELOPMENT AND SERVICES
ILMS: ILMS i.e. INFLIBNET Learning Management Service is offered by the Information and Library Network Centre (An IUC of UGC) to the institutions of higher education across the country
INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE LIBRARY
Computers : 10 Server
PC with LAN Connectivity : 02
Wi-Fi & LAN connectivity : Provided Yes
Alice for Window and EGranthalaya Library Software (Library Management Software): Yes
Barcode Printer : 01
Barcode Scanners : 02
UPS : 02 (10KVA & 5KVA)
Mineral Water : 01
CCTV Camera : 20 Approx
CCTV Displays : 02
ICT ENABLED LIBRARY SERVICES
• Computerized issue/return of books.
• ETDs Lab for e-journals Retrieval.
• CCTV-cameras installed in the library.
• Plagiarism detection software(URKUND).
• Creating Institutional domain ids for the stakeholder of library (Google G-suite)
• Remote access software such as Remote log by OCLC has been deployed for outside users.
• Access to E-Books & E-Journals
• IP Remote Access
• Open Access System
• Display of New Arrivals of Books
• Display of New Arrivals of Journals
• Internet Facility for Students & Faculty
• Reference Service
• Reading Room Facility
• Thesis and Archives
• Periodicals Service
• Reprographic Service
• Inter Library loan service
• Library automation is the use of data processing machines (computer) to carry out traditional library activities such as acquisitions, cataloguing, circulation, serial control and other library related activities.
• Library is using Alice for Window (LMS) for automation since 2007.
• Library had also E-Granthalaya 4.0 LMS which is hosted on the cloud (developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC), New Delhi) since 2020. (work is under process).
• The library had been also digitize 850 books those published before 1950. Those are available at dli.ernet.in